Assistance with irrigation management from the Little Blue NRD and Nebraska Extension Service is a result of the Irrigation Scheduling Program. Area farmers have altered their irrigation scheduling to save money and water. The project is an extension of NAWMDN (Nebraska Ag Water Management Demonstration Network) whose goal is to assist the producer in knowing when to start and stop irrigating for the season.
Equipment used is an ET (evapotranspiration) gauge and three soil moisture sensors per field which are placed at 1, 2 and 3 foot intervals as shown by the photo. This equipment measures the amount of water available in the soil that the crop can utilize. The majority of producers utilizing these tools have held off irriation until July 1st.
The District offers equipment for this program to residents at a reduced rate. Contact the Little Blue NRD office for more information.
- Irrigation Management Incentive Program - I
- Irrigation Management Incentive Program - II
- Irrigation Management Equipment Order Form
- Weekly Data Recording Form
- Soil Moisture Sensor Worksheet
- ETgage & Watermark Sensor Checklist